FIREFIGHTERS KNOCK DOWN FLAMES THREATENING TO CONSUME FAMILY’S HOME ON NEW YEAR’S EVE
December 31, 2019
MOSSY HEAD, Fla — Walton County firefighters work quickly to knock down flames threatening to consume a family’s home in Mossy Head on New Year’s Eve.
At 2:20 AM on Tuesday, December 31st, a 911 call promptly dispatched Walton County Fire Rescue, Liberty Volunteer Fire Department, and Walton County Sheriff’s Office deputies to a structure fire on Elmwood Road in Mossy Head. The caller stated she woke up to heat in her bedroom and noticed a small fire had started in her room. She quickly ran and notified her family to get out of the home and called 911.
First responders arrived on-scene to find flames coming from the left side of the home. Walton County Fire Rescue jumped into action and began battling the blaze with assistance from Liberty Volunteer Fire Department. Fortunately, firefighters were able to contain the flames before they fully-engulfed the home. All human residents made it out of the residence unharmed, however, the family dog succumbed to smoke inhalation.
The fire was caused by an electrical issue with a space heater in one of the bedrooms. The American Red Cross was contacted to provide aid to the residents of the damaged home.
Fire Chief Russell Beaty would like to remind everyone that this is the time of year to be especially cautious when using space heaters. Never leave a space heater unattended. Make sure heaters are placed at least three feet away from anything that can burn and turn them off when you are leaving a room or going to sleep.