When should I call 911?

Only call 911 in emergency situations. An emergency is any situation that requires immediate assistance from law enforcement, the fire department, or an ambulance. If you dial 911 by mistake, do not hang up. Tell the communication officer that it was a mistake so they are aware there is no emergency.

Can I text 911?

Yes. Click here to see a short tutorial on Text to 911.

What should I do if I’m calling 911 from a cell phone?

Immediately give the communication officer your name, location, and the emergency. Cell phones, unlike landlines, cannot be traced to addresses. It is vital that communication officers know where you are so they can send help immediately.

How do I report a non-emergency incident?

For non-emergency situations, please call (850) 892-8111.

What is “ICE?”

ICE (In Case of Emergency) has become an international program that began in England around 2005. It encourages people to program emergency contacts into their cell phone address book under the name ICE. Multiple emergency contacts can be listed as ICE1, ICE2, etc. The program is intended to aid emergency responders in quickly contacting next of kin in order to obtain important medical information if you are unable to communicate with them.

What should I do when an emergency vehicle is approaching displaying emergency lights and sirens?

Pull to the right of the road and stop until the emergency vehicle passes.

Does every Walton County Fire Rescue employee fight fires?

Yes, all Walton County Fire Rescue first responders are certified firefighters.

How many Walton County Fire Rescue fire stations are there in Walton County?

There are 12 total fire stations north of the bay in Walton County. 10 of these fire stations are manned at all times.

If damage has been done to a fire hydrant or if the fire hydrant is leaking on my street, who do I call to repair it?

If you fire hydrant is damaged or leaking, contact the city closest to you for assistance. If you are a resident of Mossy Head, contact Mossy Head Water Works.

What is the difference between an EMT and a Paramedic?

The difference between an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) and a Paramedic is the amount of training and education. There are different levels of EMT training: EMT-Basic, EMT-Intermediate, and EMT-Paramedic. EMT’s are trained in basic life-saving skills while EMT-Paramedics are trained on advanced life-saving skills. Walton County Fire Rescue provides both EMT Basic and Paramedic care.

Will I receive a bill if I am transported to a medical facility by an ambulance?

If you require any kind of treatment or transportation to a local medical facility, you will receive a bill. If you have any additional questions regarding EMS billing, please contact EMS Billing Coordinator, Hollie Allison at (850) 951-7306 or by email at [email protected].

How can I obtain an incident report?

To obtain an incident report, contact our public records department at [email protected].

Does Walton County Fire Rescue teach CPR classes?

Yes. If you are interested in scheduling a CPR class or have inquiries about our CPR program, please contact Lieutenant Dominick Maestre at [email protected].

Is outdoor burning allowed in Walton County?

Yes, outdoor burning is permitted with a Burn Permit. Certain burning permit rules/regulations apply. For more information on Burn Permits, please contact our local Florida Forest Service at 850-373-1800.

How often do I need to change the battery in my smoke detector?

It is recommended that you change the batteries in your smoke detector twice a year.

Do you fill swimming pools?

No, Walton County Fire Rescue is not permitted to fill swimming pools.