Low Speed Vehicle Laws
Drivers of Low-Speed Vehicles (LSVs) who do not adhere to the following requirements of LSVs are subject to receiving a Uniform Traffic Citation and/or having their LSV towed.
GOLF CARTS ARE NOT LEGALLY PERMITTED ON ANY ROADWAY AT ANY TIME.
LSV VEHICLE REQUIREMENTS: THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A GOLF CART AND A LOW-SPEED VEHICLE PER FL LAW
- Must have the following equipment: Headlights, tail lights, seat belts for each designated seat, front and rear turn signals, horn, windshield, side and rear mirrors, parking brake, side and rear reflectors, and VIN. *$111.00
- Must be able to reach 20 MPH but not greater than 25 MPH.*$111.00
- Must have a valid registration (tag) attached to the vehicle.*Criminal/Vehicle Towed
LAWS FOR ALL DRIVER & PASSENGERS OF LSVs
- Drivers must have a valid driver’s license.*$161.00 or Criminal
- All front-seat passengers of any age must wear a seat belt.*$111.00
- All persons under the age of 18 must wear a seat belt.*$111.00
- All children age 5 and under must be in a car seat or booster seat.*$161.00
LSV ROADWAY LAWS
- Low-speed vehicles may only be driven on roadways with speed limits of 35 MPH or less (see map below).*$161.00
- It is illegal to drive low-speed vehicles on any sidewalk or bike path.*$161.00
- It is illegal to drive low-speed vehicles on US Highway 98 or along the sidewalk along US Highway 98.*$161.00/Vehicle Towed
- Crossing US Highway 98 is only permitted at a four-way intersection.
*Florida Uniform Traffic Citation fine amount
LOW-SPEED VEHICLES ARE NOT ALLOWED ON HIGHWAY 98!
ROADS PROHIBITED TO LOW-SPEED VEHICLES ARE HIGHLIGHTED IN RED. When traveling on roadways permissible for low-speed vehicles, please pull over to the side of the road to allow cars to pass if you notice that traffic is beginning to back up behind you.
RED = PROHIBITED