Four male firefighters in bunker gear outside of a home with damage from a fireFirefighters knock down flames that broke out in a DeFuniak Springs home early Wednesday morning.

At 5:33 a.m., the Walton County Sheriff’s Office communications center received a 911 call reporting a structure fire on Highway 83. The caller stated there were flames coming from a single-story home. Volunteers with Argyle Volunteer Fire Department arrived on scene and began an exterior attack on the fire. Walton County Fire Rescue and DeFuniak Springs Fire Department firefighters arrived moments later and made entry into the home where they began an interior attack on the fire that was spreading throughout the attic of the mobile home. Volunteers with Liberty Volunteer Fire District also responded to the scene to provide aid in combatting the flames.

Firefighters were able to quickly knock down the blaze, keeping the flames from damaging another nearby structure. Fortunately, no one was injured in the fire.

The fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical issue with a heat lamp being used to keep chicks warm on the porch of the home. American Red Cross was contacted to provide assistance to the residents of the damaged home.