Fire coming out of a chimney in a brick home at nightWalton County Fire Rescue responded to a residence in Freeport after a fire broke out inside the chimney. Their quick action saved the family’s home from being destroyed on New Year’s Day.

At 6:09 p.m. on Monday, January 1, 2024, the Walton County Sheriff’s Office communications center received a 911 call reporting a chimney fire that broke out in a home on Coastal Breeze Dr. The caller stated all residents made it out of the home safely. Walton County Fire Rescue firefighters arrived on scene within minutes and confirmed flames coming from the chimney of a brick home. Crews made entry into the house, deployed an attack line, and began extinguishing the blaze. Eglin Air Force Base Fire & Rescue Services arrived moments later to assist in fighting the flames.

Firefighters were able to knock down the blaze within minutes, keeping the fire contained to the chimney. Fortunately, the house suffered minimal damage, leaving it safe for the family to return home that same evening.

The fire is believed to have been caused by a debris inside the chimney.

Fire trucks with flashing red lights lining a roadway in a residential neighborhoodWalton County Fire Rescue would like to remind everyone the importance of getting an annual chimney inspection. Make sure the top of your chimney is free and clear of overhanging branches, never use any kind of liquid fire starters, and keep all furniture and flammable objects at least three feet away from your fireplace. Also, it is important to have a screen or glass doors in front of your fireplace.