WALTON COUNTY FIRE RESCUE KNOCKS DOWN THIRD HOUSE FIRE IN LESS THAN 24 HOURS
Walton County Fire Rescue (WCFR) responded to their third residential fire in less than 24 hours on Sunday afternoon.
Before clearing the scene of their second residential fire in less than a day, WCFR received notification of a third house fire on Sonata Street in Freeport. At 3:36 p.m. on Sunday, December 3rd, the Walton County Sheriff’s Office communications center received a 911 call reporting a a structure fire in the Hammock Bay community. The caller stated half of the house was in flames and there were possibly family pets trapped inside the home. WCFR crews arrived within five minutes to find smoke and flames coming from the single-story home. Crews made entry into the house and deployed an attack line to begin extinguishing the fire which appeared to originate from a back bedroom of the home.
WCFR firefighters had the fire knocked down within thirty minutes of their arrival. Walton County Sheriff’s Office deputies temporarily shut down Sonata Street while WCFR worked to contain the flames.
Fortunately, no residents were injured in the fire.
Based on an investigation by Walton County Fire Rescue command, the fire is believed to have been caused by a candle that was left burning in the back bedroom where the fire originated. American Red Cross was contacted to provide assistance to the residents of the damaged home.
Walton County Fire Rescue would like to thank Walton County Sheriff’s Office deputies for their assistance at the scene.