firefighter on the porch spraying water on a fire in a room on the second story of the homeDEFUNIAK SPRINGS, FL — Walton County firefighters extinguish flames that broke out in a two-story home in DeFuniak Springs.

At 8:04 a.m. on Thursday, February 4, 2021, Walton County Fire Rescue, DeFuniak Springs Fire Department, and Argyle Volunteer Fire Department were dispatched to a home on Mountain Valley Road following a 911 call in reference to a residential fire. The caller stated she was the only one home and awoke to flames in her bedroom. First responders arrived on scene to find flames coming from a room located on the second floor of the home.

With assistance from DeFuniak Springs Fire Department and Argyle Volunteer Fire Department, Walton County Fire Rescue was able to keep the flames contained to the bedroom where the fire originated, saving the rest of the family’s home.

Fortunately, the caller made it out of the home safely. Walton County Fire Rescue firefighters were able to save the family’s cat from the smoke-filled home. However, two pet lizards were found deceased in the second-story bedroom where the fire originated.

The fire was caused by a cigarette that was discarded onto the porch just off of the bedroom on the second floor.

The American Red Cross was contacted to provide assistance to the residents of the damaged home.