Firefighter walking toward single-story home with smoke coming from the roofWalton County Fire Rescue (WCFR) firefighters responded to a residential fire in DeFuniak Springs this morning.

At 7:31 a.m., the Walton County Sheriff’s Office received a 911 call reporting a structure fire on Smith Road. The caller stated black smoke was coming from the home, but fortunately, everyone had made it out safely. WCFR firefighters arrived on scene at 7:38 a.m. and reported heavy fire and smoke showing from a single-story home. Crews made entry into the residence and began extinguishing the flames.

Defuniak Springs Fire Department arrived on scene moments later, pulled a backup line to the back door, and assisted with the interior search as well as fire operations. Argyle Volunteer Fire Department aided in extinguishing the fire from outside of the residence. Firefighters were able to knock down the blaze in approximately thirty minutes before beginning overhaul operations. Their quick action stopped the fire from spreading to other nearby homes.

The fire is believed to have been caused by electrical issues originating from lights strung on a bed located in the back bedroom of the home.

American Red Cross was contacted to provide support to the residents of the damaged home.

Walton County Fire Rescue would like to thank DeFuniak Springs Fire Department, Argyle Volunteer Fire Department, and Walton County Sheriff’s Office deputies for their assistance at the scene.