On Monday, January 26, 2015, Sergeant William Curtis and Deputy Sheriff Ryan Hooks were dispatched to a local resort in reference to an elderly gentleman who had collapsed at the gym. Both units arrived on scene at the same time, grabbed their AED’s and medical bags, and went inside to assess the patient. Upon seeing and assessing the patient they were able to determine that the patient was not breathing however had a very erratic pulse.
Deputy Hooks immediately hooked up his AED, while Sergeant Curtis monitored the patient’s vitals. The AED assessed the patient and recommended shock, after the shock was applied Sergeant Curtis began CPR. While CPR was being conducted, South Walton Fire District arrived on scene and started to hook up their life saving equipment. South Walton Fire District removed Deputy Hooks’ AED and asked for CPR to hold while they assessed the patient’s vitals. Once vitals were assessed and their equipment was hooked up, Deputy Hooks took over CPR until paramedics stated their equipment recommended shock. After the first shock was completed by the South Walton Fire District, Deputy Hooks again continued with CPR until a second shock was recommended. After the second shock was administered the paramedics on scene took over CPR and rescue breaths. The patient was still not breathing on his own and his heart beat was still very erratic. The patient was transported by ambulance to Sacred Heart Hospital for further medical attention.
After leaving the scene, Sergeant Curtis and Deputy Hooks went to the hospital to check on the patient and were informed that the patient was breathing on his own and talking with doctors. Both deputies were informed by the paramedics and medical staff that their actions saved the man’s life.
L to R: Deputy Ryan Hooks and Sergeant Will Curtis