Meet Our SheriffLearn More About the Sheriff, Administrative Staff, District Lieutenants, Our Values and History

  • When should I call 911? +

    911 is for emergencies or things that could become emergencies.
    Is there a threat to life or property? Are you or someone else the victim of a crime? Do you have a police emergency? Do you or someone else have a medical emergency? Do you need the fire department? If the situation seems urgent and has the potential to become dangerous, call 911. Dispatchers will determine whether your call should be handled by 911 or can be transferred to another person or agency.
    All other calls should be directed to our non-emergency number (850) 892-8111.

  • What if I call 911 accidentally? +

    If you accidentally dial 911, do not hang up. Stay on the line and tell the dispatcher that everything is alright. If you don’t, the dispatcher may think that something is wrong and send a deputy to check.
  • How do I apply for a job with the Sheriffs office? +

    See our Employment page under Get Involved.
  • How can I make an anonymous tip? +

    See our Crime Stoppers page under Citizen Services
  • How do I get a copy of an accident or incident report? +

    A copy of an accident or incident report can be obtained by contacting the WCSO by:

    Calling the Walton County Sheriff’s Office at (850) 892-8186 or come to our offices at:

    752 Triple G. Road, DeFuniak Springs, FL 32433

    133 S. Sheriff’s Drive, Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32459

    Email: [email protected] or [email protected]

    Fax: 1 (888) 977-1495 (ATTN: Records Division)

    Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing. Please be sure to include enough information so that your request can be accurately completed.
  • How do I start a neighborhood watch program? +

    See our Neighborhood Watch Program under Citizen Services
  • What do I do if I have a complaint? +

    See the Internal Affairs section on our Professional Standards Page.
  • How do I obtain a concealed weapons permit? +

    Obtain an Application for Concealed Weapon or Firearm License by contacting the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Division of Licensing to complete the online request form for the application packet. The application packet includes the form to be filled out, a copy of Chapter 790, Florida Statutes, a fingerprint card, and a return envelope for the completed application. The information provided below is an overview of the application process. Additional information is provided in the application instructions booklet included with your application.

    Read and study the copy of Chapter 790, Florida Statutes. Have a passport-style, color photograph made. Get verification of training that satisfies the training requirement. The application lists acceptable documents. Make a photocopy to send with the application as an original cannot be returned. Persons serving in the United States Armed Forces may submit a copy of their Military ID Card or DD-214 to satisfy the training requirement. Get certified copies of court documents relating to any criminal charges against you. Take the fingerprint card to a local law enforcement agency and ask to be fingerprinted. In addition to providing fingerprinting services for the traditional “hard-card” format, electronic fingerprint devices are available at almost all 67 county sheriff’s offices in the state. Complete the application. Either print clearly with ink or type the information. In the presence of a notary, sign the application. Submit a check or money order for the license fee payable to the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. This fee is not refundable. Assemble everything:

    Envelope Fee
    Photograph Fingerprint card or proof that your fingerprints were submitted electronically by the sheriff’s office using Live Scan (along with proof that you paid the sheriff’s office or the Florida Department of Law Enforcement for the service). Proof of training Certified court documents (if any) Application with notarized signature Mail to Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, Division of Licensing, P.O. Box 6687, Tallahassee, FL 32314.

    The Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearm License is valid for a period of seven years. Approximately 90 days prior to the license’s expiration date, the Division automatically sends a renewal notice to the address we have on file for the license holder.

    When and where can I have my fingerprints taken?
    Ink fingerprints can be obtained at either location of the WCSO Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
    LiveScan prints are available at:
    752 Triple G. Road DeFuniak Springs, FL 32433
    133 S. Sheriff’s Drive Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32459
  • Is there a fee for fingerprints? +

    The Walton County Sheriff’s office does not charge a fee for ink prints of any type. There is a charge of $34.25 for concealed weapons permit prints that are taken using the Live Scan unit.
  • What is the charge for service for civil process? +

    The charge depends on what type of service it is:
Non Enforceable is $40 per person.
 Enforceable is $50 (in some instances per person)
  • Who do we contact to get signed up for the gun safety course? +

    See the Civilian Firearms section under Citizen Services.
  • 1