Thank you for your interest in the Walton County Sheriff’s Office. Before appointment to any position with the Walton County Sheriff’s Office, applicants must successfully complete multiple steps in the hiring process, which can take 4-8 weeks depending upon the position. All positons require a list of documents to be submitted to consider the application to be complete. The documents are as listed:
- Birth Certificate/Naturalization Papers
- Employment Affidavit (see attachment, must be notarized)
- Applicant’s Certification (see attachment)
- Social Security Card
- Driver’s License
- High School Diploma, GED or college transcripts
- CJSTC Certificate or Letter of Passing Score on State Exam (Sworn applicants only)
- DD214, Member Copy 4 (Military applicants)
- Any documents of name change (marriage certificate, name change decree, divorce decree)
Once all documents are completed, the hiring process will continue with the following categories:
- Polygraph Examination (All Applicants)
- The polygraph examination will take approximately 3 hours. When you come for your polygraph, please make sure you are well rested (at least 6 hours of sleep). You will be required to complete a polygraph questionnaire prior to your polygraph and bring it with you to take your polygraph examination.
- PAT Course (All Applicants for Sworn Positions)
- The PAT is a physical abilities test (PAT). We conduct this test on the first Tuesday of every month, time depending on the number of runners and the weather. In order for you to participate in the PAT course, you must sign a Release of Liability You must also have a Physicians Clearance to Test form signed by a licensed physician or medical practitioner. If a physical examination is required for your physician to complete the form, please be advised that all cost will be at your expense. Please return the forms to HR before you are scheduled to run the PAT course. We cannot allow you to participate without these completed forms. Also, while running the PAT, you will be asked to perform various job-related field tests, which will include jumping, running, climbing, crawling, etc. Please dress in appropriate attire suitable for this type of physical activity. We ask that you wear loose fitting long pants with belt loops (BDU style pants) and a belt. You are allowed to wear athletic shoes or utility boots. It is advisable that you come well hydrated. To pass, you must successfully complete the course in 6 minutes and 30 seconds or less.
- Swim Test (LEO Only)
- LEO applicants shall be required to successfully pass a swim test. The test requires applicants to swim 25 yards in any stroke style, as well as tread water for two and a half (2.5) minutes. Required swim attire is a t-shirt and long pants. Applicants must provide their own towels. In order for you to participate in the Swim test, you must sign a Release of Liability You must also have a Physicians Clearance to Test form signed by a licensed physician or medical practitioner. Forms will be provided to you by Human Resources.
- CritiCall Test (Dispatch Only)
- The CritiCall test will be administered by HR staff at the Sheriff’s Office which is located at 752 Triple G Road, DeFuniak Springs, FL 32433. It takes approximately 1 hour to complete the test. To pass the test, you must type 25 correct words per minute (WPM) and obtain an overall score of 75%. Upon successfully passing the test, you will be scheduled for a polygraph. For assistance with improving your typing skills or to get a baseline for your WPM, you may go on-line and find a number of free typing tests, such as typingtest.com .
Please contact Marti Sherrouse, Employment Coordinator, for any questions you may have.
Phone: (850) 951-4715
Fax: (888) 228-3640