Walton Fire–Rescue is under new management and we are actively seeking Firefighter/Paramedics and Firefighter/EMTs who want to get in on the ground floor of a growing, progressive fire – rescue organization. Walton Fire-Rescue is a 100 member, career fire-rescue organization on Florida’s Northern Gulf Coast. Responding from 10 stations, Walton Fire-Rescue serves a population of approximately 30,000 residents living within 738 square miles and provides automatic and mutual aid to 4 other fire districts within Walton County. Walton Fire-Rescue is the primary provider for ALS EMS service in all areas north of Choctawhatchee Bay. We are currently working on establishing a SWAT Medic Program and Water Rescue/Dive Team.
Position Title: Firefighter/Paramedic $12.90 per hour
(Estimated annual = $38,500 including FLSA OT)
Firefighter/EMT $11.35 per hour
(Estimated annual = $34,000 including FLSA OT)
Announcement Type: External Agency
Closing Date: Until Filled
- Special Risk Retirement plan under the Florida State Retirement System.
- Health, Dental Vision, Life and Disability Insurance.
- Annual Leave and sick leave.
- Deferred Compensation Plans are available.
- Tuition Reimbursement.
- Employee Assistance Program.
- Firefighter’s Supplemental Compensation Program (pay incentive for college degrees).
- 24 hour gym access.
- Agency Wellness and Fitness Program (employees may earn a salary incentive up to $500.00 each quarter for participating in and passing a series of fitness test.
Job Description: Firefighter Paramedic
|This is technical work in the emergency medical field and in the prevention, control and suppression of structural and non-structural fires. Work involves responding to fire and rescue calls, suppressing fires, rendering emergency medical assistance and transporting patients to the hospital. Work includes operation of fire rescue equipment and maintenance of station equipment and quarters. Work is reviewed through reports and observation of results achieved.|
Job Responsibilities: Firefighter Paramedic
|• Knowledge of modern fire suppression methods and equipment.
• Knowledge of the operation and maintenance of fire rescue equipment and vehicles.
• Knowledge of emergency medical procedures and techniques.
• Knowledge of procedures in extrication, movement of patients, rescue techniques, transportation and
psychological needs of patients.
Qualifications, Training and Experience: Firefighter/Paramedic
Requires: current State of Florida certifications as Firefighter and Paramedic; valid, unexpired certifications in ACLS and CPR; a valid Florida driver license and successful completion of a 16-hour Emergency Vehicle Operators Course (EVOC).
Job Description: Firefighter/EMT
|Professional firefighting and EMS duties of a varied nature performed under the direction of a superior officer. Performs professional advance life support work in operating an approved mobile medical unit, rescuing victims and performing advanced emergency care including the administration of life sustaining treatment to patients on-site and while enroute to hospital.|
Job Responsibilities: Firefighter/EMT
|100% – The following statements describe the principal functions of this job and its scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including working in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise to balance the work load.
• Lays, connects and places hose lines in operation. Raises and climbs ladders. Enters buildings and other hazardous areas. Uses extinguishers, bars, hooks, lines, axes and other hand and power tools. Ventilates buildings, throws salvage covers and removes debris.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Firefighter/EMT
|Firefighter/EMT – • Considerable knowledge of basic and advanced emergency medical procedures and techniques.
• Considerable knowledge of equipment and supplies employed in the emergency care of patients and victims of accidents.
• Considerable knowledge of extrication, movement of patients, rescue techniques, transportation and psychological needs of a patient.
• Working knowledge of County geography and of the location of roads and streets within the County.
• Working knowledge of radio communication equipment.
• Skills in diagnosing a victim’s condition and applying appropriate emergency medical care.
• Ability to respond quickly and calmly to emergency situations.
• Ability to safely drive an ambulance under emergency conditions.
• Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to prepare and maintain accurate records and reports.
• Ability to lift substantial weight.
• Ability to deal tactfully, courteously and firmly with the general public.
• Ability to effectively establish and maintain working relationships as necessitated by work assignments.
Qualifications, Training and Experience: Firefighter/EMT
One (1) to two (2) years of experience in advance emergency medical service work, plus any required certification or training; or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. State of Florida Minimum Standards for Firefighter and EMT and CPR for the Health Care Provider are required. A valid Florida driver license and 16 hour (E.V.O.C.) Emergency Vehicle Operators Course is required. The employee is responsible for the ability to drive ALL vehicles, not just Medic units.
Performs other duties as necessary and required.
External Applicants: To be considered for this position, applicants must submit a Walton County Sheriff’s Office Application. Please indicate which position you are applying for on the application. Application and instructions are available online via the Agency’s website: http://waltonso.org/
External Applicants will be required to successfully complete:
-Background investigation which includes but is not limited to: criminal history, driving history,
credit check, and previous employment verification.
-Pre-employment Drug Screen (including nicotine panel)
As part of the selection process applicants for consideration will be required to participate in an oral interview process.
Applicants must list a valid telephone number and email address on their application and routinely monitor that email address. Applicants are responsible for contacting WCSO-HR to update any contact information. Failure to respond to future emailed requests for additional information, and/or to submit a complete application and required documents as indicated above may result in disqualification.
The Walton County Sheriff’s Department is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Drug Free Workplace. Applicants needing any accommodation because of a disability in order to participate in the application and/or selection process should notify Human Resources staff in advance. Preference shall be given to certain veterans and spouses of veterans as provided by Chapter 295, Florida Statutes. Applicants claiming Veteran’s Preference must submit a Form DD-214.
Applicants may contact the Walton County Sheriff’s Office Human Resources by calling 850-892-8186 for assistance or additional information.