POSITION TITLE: EMS Chief (Emergency Services Bureau)
SALARY RANGE: $80,000.00 to $105,000.00
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
This is an EXTERNAL advertisement for the position of EMS Chief in the Emergency Services Division.
This position manages, coordinates and supervises work involving Emergency Medical Services within the Operations Division. This position formulates policies, programs, and procedures for EMS Operations. The incumbent will manage all EMS equipment, supplies, storage, and billing. They will serve as the contact person for the department’s Medical Director.
- Applicants must have a minimum of two (2) years of executive level experience at an EMS Transport Agency.
- Applicant must have ten (10) years of experience as a certified paramedic.
- Possession of a certification as a Firefighter II by the State of Florida is optional.
- Must possess active certification as a Florida Paramedic.
- Must maintain medical skills and a knowledge base of current practices through active participation in instructional training, medical classes, and advanced certifications.
- Must have the ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
- Must be adaptable to performing under moderate to high levels of stress when confronted with an emergency or tight deadline.
- Must have knowledge of basic procedures and principals of general office duties.
- Must have a working knowledge of all rules, regulations, and information that is necessary for successful job performance.
- Must have the ability to exercise sound judgment and prepare clear and concise reports.
EXAMPLES OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Formulates policies, programs, and procedures for EMS Operations.
- Manages all EMS equipment, supplies, storage, and billing.
- Serves as contact person for the department’s Medical Director.
- Provides direction and oversight of medical controlled substance inventory. Ensures the controlled substance program complies with federal regulatory requirements.
- Directly oversees the licensing process for the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA).
- Manages all EMS equipment, supplies, medical controlled substances and storage.
- Works with vendors for EMS equipment/supplies as needed.
- Develops plans for major EMS equipment purchases. Manages inventory and/or accountability of EMS equipment/supplies as needed.
- Assists in the development of processes for billing records.
- Responds to citizens questions regarding billing.
- Works with the Training Division in development ALS and BLS level EMS training for all fire department staff
- Writes ambulance unit specifications and works with selected bidder to ensure delivery of specified ambulance.
- Conducts continuous analysis of vehicle and staff assignments and scheduling for improved efficiency and effectiveness.
- Initiates and maintains a Quality Assurance/Quality Improvement program.
- Represents the department at ALS Clinical Standards and Practices meetings.
- Monitors State of Florida Board of EMS activity.
- Participates in incident reviews and investigations and represents the department on reportable incidents.
- Reviews and analyzes reports, such as revenue and performance records.
- Responds to emergency situations in the role of Operational EMS Chief.
- Reviews reports for completeness and quality assurance.
- Keeps records and evaluates the performance of subordinates.
- Schedules and coordinates activities, and prepares reports as required to support the personnel and activities of the area to which the position is assigned.
- Participates in the hire, transfer, suspension, promotion, discipline, and assignment of personnel. Actively participates in the selection process to select the most appropriate individual(s) for hiring, promotion, and reassignment based on performance, experience, qualifications, skills, abilities, and the needs of the agency.
- Prepares performance evaluations on subordinates.
- Completes special projects as assigned.
- Continually evaluates programs, policies, and goals.
- Performs related work as required.
External Applicants: To be considered for this position, applicants must submit a Walton County Sheriff’s Office Application. Please indicate which position you are applying for on the application. Application and instructions are available online via the Agency’s website: http://waltonso.org/employment-information/.
Qualified members who are interested in this position will submit an application with a professional resume and all required documentation detailing their experience and training to the Human Resources Section.
Your resume will be reviewed by HR staff to ensure that you possess the minimum qualifications for this position. Those applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be required to participate in a selection process.
Applicants selected to compete in the selection process will be required to successfully complete a Physical Ability Test. The selected applicant for the position will be required to successfully complete a Physical Ability Test annually thereafter.
The Walton County Sheriff’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer/ Drug-Free Workplace. If you need an accommodation because of a disability to participate in the application/selection process, please notify the Hiring Authority or Human Resources in advance. Preference shall be given to certain veterans and spouses of veterans as provided by Chapter 295, Florida Statutes. Applicants claiming preference must submit a Form DD-214.