POSITION TITLE: District Fire Chief (Emergency Services Bureau)
SALARY RANGE: $60,000.00 to $75,000.00 annually
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
This is an EXTERNAL advertisement for the position of District Fire Chief in the Emergency Services Division.
The purpose of the position is to provide managerial, supervisory, and technical work directing the activities of a team within Walton County Fire Rescue. Work is performed under the general supervision of a Battalion Chief.
- Applicants must have a minimum of seven (7) years of continuous full-time career service experience as a firefighter.
- Must possess certification as a Firefighter II by the State of Florida.
- Must possess active certification as a Florida Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) or Paramedic.
- Must possess or be able to obtain a Florida Fire Officer 1 certification within one (1) year of promotion.
- Must possess or be able to obtain a Florida Fire Instructor 1 certification within one (1) year of promotion.
- Must have knowledge of basic procedures and principals of general office duties.
- Must have a working knowledge of all rules, regulations, and information that is necessary for successful job performance.
- Must have the ability to exercise sound judgment and prepare clear and concise reports.
*Preference may be given to applicants who possess all required certifications at time of application. Also, preference will be given to applicants with previous supervisory experience.
Applicants selected to compete in the selection process will be required to successfully complete a Physical Ability Test. The selected applicant for the position will be required to successfully complete a Physical Ability Test annually thereafter.
EXAMPLES OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists the Battalion Chief in his/her duties and may perform in the capacity of a Battalion Chief in their absence.
- Coordinates and manages the response to emergency incidents in an assigned district.
- Coordinates and manages the day-to-day operation of assigned stations for all shifts.
- Directs and coordinates on-scene activities or operations to effectively resolve the situation in a safe and timely manner.
- Coordinates with Fire Rescue Training Division to ensure scheduling of daily training and other training activities.
- Reviews reports for completeness and quality assurance.
- Keeps records and evaluates the performance of subordinates.
- Schedules and coordinates activities, and prepares reports as required to support the personnel and activities of the area to which the position is assigned.
- Ensures adequate assignment coverage by analyzing staffing requirements and resources.
- Participates in the hire, transfer, suspension, promotion, discipline, and assignment of personnel. Actively participates in the selection process to select the most appropriate individual(s) for hiring, promotion, and reassignment based on performance, experience, qualifications, skills, abilities, and the needs of the agency.
- Recommends changes in working conditions for improved staff work output.
- Prepares performance evaluations on subordinates.
- Completes special projects as assigned.
- Assists in the development of department goals and objectives; Assists in the development of policies, procedures, and priorities to meet established goals; Assists in the development, implementation, and maintenance of strategic, fiscal and capital improvement plans for the areas of responsibility.
- Continually evaluates programs, policies, and goals.
- Provides firefighting and medical training. Ensures personnel receive proper training to successfully perform their duties.
- Performs related work as required.
External Applicants: To be considered for this position, applicants must submit a Walton County Sheriff’s Office Application. Please indicate which position you are applying for on the application. Application and instructions are available online via the Agency’s website: http://waltonso.org/employment-information/.
Qualified members who are interested in this position will submit an application with a professional resume and all required documentation detailing their experience and training to the Human Resources Section.
Your resume will be reviewed by HR staff to ensure that you possess the minimum qualifications for this position. Those applicants who meet the minimum qualifications will be required to participate in a selection process.
The Walton County Sheriff’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Drug-Free Workplace. If you need an accommodation because of a disability to participate in the application/selection process, please notify the Hiring Authority or Human Resources in advance. Preference shall be given to certain veterans and spouses of veterans as provided by Chapter 295, Florida Statutes. Applicants claiming preference must submit a Form DD-214.